The Personal Support Worker (PSW), under the direction of the Director of the Yellowknife Women’s Centre, provide personal support services to residents of the Emergency Shelter, and tenants of the Single room Occupancy program, according to the needs outlined in their individual case plan.
1. Helping women to maintain their hygiene by assisting in bathing, grooming, toileting and dressing/undressing.
2. Using creativity and interpersonal skills to build relationships with women who are reluctant to maintain their personal hygiene.
3. Understanding and implementing infection prevention practices, including assisting with cleaning when needed.
4. Monitoring changes in physical and mental health, and health-related behaviors, and support women to seek health care services, including emergency services, if required.
5. Accompanying women with mental health, substance use or cognitive issues when seeking emergency care, and liaise with hospital staff when women are discharged to the shelter from hospital, to support access to care and ensure continuity of care between the shelter and medical services.
6. Maintaining client records and documentation, including inter-agency confidentiality agreements, as required.
- A Certificate form a recognized Personal Support Worker program, plus three years’ experience in this role. A comparable combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience providing case management support and other supports to women and homeless people form diverse backgrounds that struggle with a myriad of challenges.
- Broad knowledge of social and economic issues facing Northern Women, and in particular, First Nations, Inuit, and Inuvialuit women.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work cooperatively and professionally as part of a team and with other agencies and community partners.
- Excellent organization skills, including the ability to keep clear and organized records of services provided and respectful descriptions of personal wellbeing.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Updated immunization and criminal record check.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification.
- Class 5 Drivers License.
For more information and the full job description visit the Jobs North posting linked below. Cover Letter and Resume can be sent to email@example.com