The Yellowknife Women’s Society Emergency Shelter for Women serves adult women who:
- Experience family and household violence
- Have experienced eviction and/or experience barriers in trying to access housing
- Don’t have the resources to maintain a household
- Are stranded in the community
- Experience severe mental illness, cognitive and/or physical disability
- Experience substance use or addiction issues
Lack of affordable housing options, inadequate access to mental health and addictions services, inadequate access to sufficient reliable income, and barriers to employment all contribute to the complexities faced by women who access the emergency shelter.